Pupils thrive in the safe, stimulating environment provided for them… The care and support provided for pupils is excellent. This gives them the confidence and motivation to foster good relations with staff, develop friendships and engage fully in school life. – OFSTED 2017
Woolgrove School, Special Needs Academy: Our ‘Local Offer’
Choosing the right education for your child can be one of the hardest decisions that parents have to make. At Woolgrove, we strive to do the best we can for our children, encouraging and nurturing their growth in all aspects of learning and development.
Woolgrove School is a Special Needs Academy for children of Primary school age, located in Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire. We are a special school for primary aged children catering for pupils who have one or more of the following: Moderate Learning Difficulties; Autism; Speech, Language & Communication Needs and a variety of other Learning Difficulties (e.g. dyslexia, global developmental delay, different syndromes).
Woolgrove provides a stimulating and happy environment which recognises that education takes place both inside and outside the classroom. The curriculum we provide is based on enhancing the children’s life-skills through a variety of engaging and meaningful activities. Children possess their own unique qualities and the school recognises the importance of teaching to a range of learning styles. We have high expectations of all our children and we endeavour to enable them each to achieve their potential through high standards of behaviour and outstanding learning experiences. Self-confidence and independence, recognising that each and everyone has a part to play as a responsible member of the community is of high importance.
At Woolgrove school we believe that all children thrive in an environment in which they are happy, challenged and secure: happy in the knowledge they are each appreciated for their individuality and their achievements; challenged to achieve their best and secure in the knowledge they are cared for and safe.
We feel it is important to work with the parents and carers of our pupils, acknowledging the vital role they play in the education of their children. An active partnership and effective collaboration between home and school ensures our children receive the best possible support for their development. Our aim is to continually enhance provision whilst at the same time create stronger links with our local mainstream primary schools.
At the heart of everything we do are our values to ASPIRE:
- To raise people’s self-esteem, so that they are able to make the most of their Abilities and talents,
- To foster a sense of curiosity and a love of learning, so that all will develop a determination to achieve and Succeed,
- To work in Partnership with parents, other schools and the wider community, to promote a more inclusive education system and a sense of citizenship,
- To promote Independence and encourage intellectual, emotional, spiritual and healthy growth, so that everyone can become lifelong learners,
- To work together in an atmosphere of trust and mutual Respect, so that all feel equally safe and valued,
- To provide a challenging and Enriching curriculum which addresses individual needs.
Every Child Matters: Achievement, citizenship, independence, health and safety